The Church of Saint Severus is in the heart of the Gothic Neighborhood of Barcelona, next to the Cathedral of Barcelona and the Palau de la Generalitat de Catalunya (seat of the Autonomous Government of Catalonia). It is a notable example of Baroque architecture in Barcelona.
The Church of Saint Severus was constructed between 1698 and 1705 by Jaume Arnaudies and Joan Fiter. It consists of a single nave with a polygonal apse and lateral chapels. The façade was sculpted by Jerónimo Escarabatxeres. The rectangular door is flanked by double pilasters with geometric decorations and crowned by a pediment where angels hold up the coat of arms of Saint Severus, whose image is situated above in a recess.
Of particular interest is the high altarpiece, made by the artist Pedro Costa between 1754 and 1757. The paintings flanking the altarpiece, simulating architectural elements, are attributed to the artist Viladomat (1678 – 1755), who also has a painting of Our Lady of Sorrows. On the sides of the presbytery is a representation of the martyrdom of Saint Severus by the Baroque artist Joan Gallart (c. 1670 – 1714); it was restored in 2008.
Since 2002, the building belongs to the Excellent Chapterhouse of the Cathedral and the Cathedral offices are located in the adjacent building.